A charming village located between the towns of Tring and Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire county in the United Kingdom, Aston Clinton is positioned at the foot of the Chiltern Hills approximately 61 km to the north west of London.
Green Park Centre: A wonderful facility for the area, the Green Park Centre allows schools and youths the chance to take part in some fabulous adventure facilities, and also offers the older generation some conference facilities, sporting facilities, teambuilding and outdoor education. The centre stands in 80 acres of pretty woodland & parkland just a stones throw from the nearby town of Aylesbury and only about a one hour drive from the capital London. The Green Park Centre is handily located in Stablebridge Rd and at one time was on land belonging to Sir Anthony de Rothschild a wealthy patron of Aston Clinton, who had a manor house and beautiful landscaping on the park. Up to 62 guests can be roomed there and there is a swimming pool, sports pitch and sports hall. Eleven rooms are available for business meetings with spaces for up to two hundred guests.
Aston Martin Aston Clinton the Link? Lots of people will not realise that the famous car company, the Aston Martin took part of its name from Aston Clinton. This happened after co-owner Lionel Martin performed well in a car event on nearby Aston Hill, called the Aston Clinton Hillclimb, and marked his great performance by borrowing the name for his brand. A celebratory plaque can still be viewed at the historic site of the competitions.
Anthony Hall: The best known of Aston Clinton’s finest buildings is the Anthony Hall, which was given to Aston Clinton by Sir Anthony de Rothschild a wealthy patron. It is situated at 35 London Rd, in the village and is a Grade II listed building, it was erected by George Devey in around 1884 and was utilised as the village hall. Quick Facts: The number of people living in Aston Clinton is three thousand six hundred and eighty two, the extent of the parish is 3,809 acres, the post code for Aston Clinton is HP22, the telephone code is 01296.
The parish of Aston Clinton covers about three thousand eight hundred acres of almost exclusively agricultural land which is traversed by the Wendover and Aylesbury arms of the Grand Union Canal. Aston Clinton lies at a crossing of the ancient roads of the Icknield Way and Akeman Street. The A41 at one time passed through the village, though it now bypasses it, relieving previously bustling traffic conditions. The two thousand and one census for Aston Clinton tells us that at that time there were one thousand four hundred and two households in the village, comprising one thousand eight hundred and seventeen feminine residents, one thousand seven hundred and twenty five masculine citizens, and a final total of three thousand five hundred and forty two inhabitants. Some Local History: The settlement almost certainly began life as a crossing point of 2 historic pathways (the pre-historic Icknield Way and the Roman Akeman Street) which still act as roads in the village. It developed into a Saxon settlement with the decline of the Roman Empire, and two Saxon burial grounds have been unearthed in the village (on the site of the A41 bypass and on Tring Hill). The settlement which later became Aston Clinton was retained by one Wlwen up until 1066 and the Norman conquest, and when the Domesday Book was written the settlement was named and was catalogued as Estone, meaning “eastern estate”. The settlement collected its present name in the 13th century, when the manor came under ownership of the family of de Clinton and it became known as Aston de Clinton.
St Michael and All Angels Church: It is generally considered that the original parish church of the village of Aston Clinton (St Michael and All Angels) was dedicated by the Bishop of Lincoln (Bishop Grosseteste) in around 1250, though the nave is perhaps as early as 1100. Next to the south door is a record of past rectors of the Parish, the earliest dating from 1232.
Public Houses in Aston Clinton: Aston Clinton has several pubs which you can visit including the Bell, the Partridge, the Rothschild Arms and the Oak, others have ceased trading over the last 20 years or so, namely the Bull and the New Inn.